I recently hit the first milestone in my Heritage Reads challenge: I read the work of 10 Black women writers. I added this category because there are so many fantastic books I wanted to read, and who do I have more in common with than Black women?
I am very pleased to share these books with all of you. Hopefully something will catch your eye.
- Dolen Perkins-Valdez, Wench
- Octavia Butler, Kindred
- Alaya Dawn Johnson, The Summer Prince
- Beverly Jenkins, Vivid and Destiny’s Embrace
- N.K. Jemisin, The Killing Moon
- Tananarive Due, My Soul to Keep
- Karen English, Nikki and Deja
- Nikki Grimes, Planet Middle School
- Kekla Magoon, Camo Girl
- Rita Williams-Chadda, One Crazy Summer
Have you read any of these books? Who is your favourite black woman writer? Share your comments below!
Important note: My classification of these writers may not match up to their own self-identification. The women I have listed here as Black may more accurately fit in one of my other categories or none of them at all. These labels are a useful way to organize myself, but we all now labels are for cans, not people.