Date: Wednesday, Feb 5, 2014
Time: 8pm ET
Topic: Grants, MFAs and being a writer in Canada
Use the #DiverseCanLit chat to follow along on Twitter (or TweetChat). Last week we talked about diversifying narratives. This week we’ll talk about the resources and barriers that writers have access too. Below are a few of the questions we may discuss:
- What does it mean to be a “professional writer”? Who can claim/bestow that title?
- How do grants help writers?
- What are alternatives when writers cannot get a grant?
- What is the value of MFA programs?
- Read the highlights from last week’s chat.
- Do you know anyone who has applied for writing grants? Anyone who has considered an MFA program? Invite them to share their insight!
- Follow the #DiverseCanLit list on Twitter. Feel free to tweet me (@leonicka) if you want to be added!
- Subscribe to Leonicka.com in the sidebar to get the schedules, recap posts, and digests of relevant resources.
DiverseCanLit Schedule: February and March
Thank you so much for everyone who has participated so far. If it has been useful for you spread the word!
Below is the tentative schedule for February and March. The schedule is subject to change based on the needs/requests of the community (that’s all of you!). The final topic and some of the discussion questions will be posted the Monday before the chat. If you have ideas, requests, or want to be a guest host, do not hesitate to contact me!
Feb 5: Grants, MFAs and being a Canadian writer
Feb 12: Poetry
Feb 19: Becoming a publishing professional
Feb 26: Canada Reads 2014
March 5: Picture Books
March 12: Conferences/Book Fairs
March 19: MG and YA
March 26: Agents